Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The First Birthday Gift for My Father

Yesterday was my father's birthday. Although it had been raining all day long, I took my bike to a supermarket in the downtown to buy a shaver and foams as president for him. This was the first time that I gave my father a birthday gift. I was embarrassed to do so. Thus, I gave a red envelope with $3,000 inside, a mission that my brother asked me to execute and he would pay me back later. My father asked me how my brother could arrange this because my brother was in Taipei. To prevent my father decline this red envelope, I said my brother gave the money to me earlier when I was still in Taipei. To my surprise, my father didn't say much and accept this red envelope. Therefore, I promptly gave him the birthday gift to him. I noticed he always used a plastic shaver and had to clean the razor after using it each time. I think he needs a better shaver. Today, my father unpacked the shaver but had some trouble to put the razor into the shaver. I helped him with this and answered his question about where to buy these razors.

My father didn't ask why my brother gave him red envelop and why I gave him a gift. That means he actually remembered his own birthday. I feel shameful that so many years had passed and I had not given any birthday gift to him before. I think it does not really matter what I prepare for him on his birthday. What counts is that at least I should express something to him. I did not say "Happy birthday to you!" words that I felt difficult to spell out. I should try to enhance our mutual interaction and communication this summer because I don't think I will return home in 2 years after my departure from Taiwan.

No comments: